Date:      Sat, 18 Nov 2000 15:37:39 +0100
From:      Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Subject:   rawio 1.1 on FreeBSD 4.2-BETA?

Greg,

	I'm not sure if you've heard complaints about this lately, but I
thought I'd drop you a line and see if you had any ideas what I might
be doing wrong.  I did some searches of the archives for -questions,
-stable, and -current, and couldn't find anything that related to
"rawio AND random.h".

	Anyway, I've got a FreeBSD 4.2-BETA machine that I cvsupped this
past week (completed at Nov 14 20:28), did the buildworld,
installworld, made the new kernel & installed it, etc....  It's been
a little while since I've had time to play with FreeBSD much, but I
think I did this process correctly.

	However today, when I went to go build the port for rawio, I got
the complaint:

		cd /usr/ports/benchmarks/rawio
		make install
		>> rawio-1.1.tar.gz doesn't seem to exist in /usr/ports/distfiles/.
		>> Attempting to fetch from ftp://ftp.lemis.com/pub/.
		Receiving rawio-1.1.tar.gz (191472 bytes): 100%
		191472 bytes transferred in 59.5 seconds (3.14 kBps)
		===>  Extracting for rawio-1.1
		>> Checksum OK for rawio-1.1.tar.gz.
		===>  Patching for rawio-1.1
		===>  Applying FreeBSD patches for rawio-1.1
		===>  Configuring for rawio-1.1
		===>  Building for rawio-1.1
		cc -O -pipe -g  mkrandom.c  -o mkrandom
		mkrandom.c:58: machine/random.h: No such file or directory
		*** Error code 1

	I note that this package is dated Sunday, January 2, 2000
  according to your ftp server -- should this version work with
-STABLE?  Is the "fix" for this problem really as simple as
symlinking /usr/include/sys/random.h or to
/usr/include/machine/random.h, or modifying the #include to find this
header in the right directory?

	Thanks!

P.S.  I had to unsubscribe from the lists because I went on vacation
for a while, and I haven't had a chance to re-subscribe yet.  I'd
appreciate it if folks who respond to this issue keep me in cc: of
their messages.

Brad Knowles, <blk@skynet.be>                || Belgacom Skynet SA/NV
Systems Architect, Mail/News/FTP/Proxy Admin || Rue Colonel Bourg, 124
Phone/Fax: +32-2-706.13.11/12.49             || B-1140 Brussels
http://www.skynet.be                         || Belgium