Date:      Wed, 31 May 2000 11:27:41 PDT
From:      Darryl Okahata <darrylo@sr.hp.com>
To:        Doug Ambrisko <ambrisko@whistle.com>
Cc:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>, mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: TI1225 + ORINOCO aka WaveLAN IEEE 802.11 11Mb

Doug Ambrisko <ambrisko@whistle.com> wrote:

> Like Warner has mentioned your TI chip is not getting intiallized.  Most
> desktop BIOS don't do this most laptops do.  However, I have a ThinkPad
> i1482 at home (for the wife running Windows) and it doesn't initialize
> the TI 1410 in a sane way.  That is it doesn't allocate and PCI memory

     I appreciate all this.  However, I'm not sure if everyone
understands that I'm *NOT* the person having severe problems with the TI
1225.  My laptop w/TI 1225 is 95% working (and the other 5% doesn't
really bother me); my laptop works well with an IEEE 802.11 WaveLan
card, as well as an Accton 2216 10BT card.  The only problems I have are
(1) the PCMCIA slot often stops responding after several remove/inserts,
and (2) removing/inserting a compact flash card (unmounted) has an high
probability of causing a panic.  However, as I've mentioned, I'm not
using the latest TI 1225 code, and I hope to do so RSN.

     I'm just trying to understand what works and what doesn't,
so that I can update my "Using FreeBSD with WaveLan" document.  From my
perspective, all this is weird, as my laptop has a TI 1225, but I can
use the PCMCIA slot(s), whereas others with a desktop TI 1225 have
problems and are unable to get it working.

     If I understand Warner correctly, the old FreeBSD code did not
properly handle the TI 1225 in a desktop because the TI was in a reset
state, whereas my laptop's BIOS somehow initialized the TI into a state
that FreeBSD could handle.

--
	Darryl Okahata
	darrylo@soco.agilent.com