Date:      Wed, 14 Feb 2001 10:48:34 -0800
From:      Steven Davidson <sdn@sprintlabs.com>
To:        gnats-admin@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org, mb@imp.ch, dkwiebe@hagenhomes.com, uwe@ptc.spbu.ru, bitsurfr@enteract.com, green@unixhelp.org, vladimirl@home.com, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD port Staroffice 5.2 now works! (was Re: ports/24049: SO5.2 fails  to install on FreeBSD 4.2-RELEASE)

SOLUTION FOUND!!!  Please tell anyone who mught need to know.

The environment that finally worked was FreeBSD 4.2-Release
with a recent (Feb 13, 2001) CVSup on the ports collection.

However, it appears that neither the FreeBSD release nor the CVSup
had anything to do with the solution.

First, the error:
/usr/ports/editors/staroffice52/work/tmp/sv001.tmp/setup.bin: error in
No such file or directory
     *** Error code 1 (ignored)

This was resolved by placing "/bin" in front of my path, e.g., in tcsh:
set path=(/bin $path)        (Thanks to Valeriy for this).

Might I suggest that the port be modified to NOT rely on the
path environment setting, but rather to hard code the necessary path(s).

Also, you will see the following instructions:

    You will very shortly have finished  a network install of StarOffice
5.2.
    Once that is done exit X11 and run it again as the user that you
usually use.
    Then run "make install-user" and do a standard workstation install.
    Change the install path to $HOME/office52. Then add $HOME/office52/
to your path.

I never exited X11; I started X11 as a regular non-root user then as
root, I did:

set path=(/bin $path)
cd /usr/ports/editors/staroffice52
make
make install

Then, as a regular non-root user:

set path=(/bin $path)
cd /usr/ports/editors/staroffice52
make install-user
set path=(~/office52 $path)           ...add this .cshrc
rehash
soffice                                                  ...and
everything worked!

The second problem:
109939-02.tar.Z was not found *anywhere* on the list of staroffice
locations
in the makefile but is available at
ftp://sunsolve.sun.com/pub/patches/109939-02.tar.Z
(as of Feb 15, 2001) (Thanks again to Valeriy for this info).

Thanks to all who helped.   I just love this Internet support network!

The problem report ports/24049 can be closed.