Date:      Sat, 11 Jun 2016 14:49:02 -0700
From:      Jordan Hubbard <jkh@mail.turbofuzz.com>
To:        Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert@komquats.com>
Cc:        Pedro Giffuni <pfg@FreeBSD.org>, FreeBSD-arch list <freebsd-arch@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Illumos/OpenSolaris SMF to FreeBSD

> On Jun 11, 2016, at 2:15 PM, Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert@komquats.com> =
wrote:
>=20
> Having said all that, I don't think that Apple's launchd was meant for=20=

> servers or the enterprise, not to mention they closed-sourced it. We=20=

> probably have to write our own.

Neither of those things are entirely true, however.

1. launchd is agnostic as to workload - there=E2=80=99s nothing =
particularly =E2=80=9Cconsumer-centric=E2=80=9D about its actual design =
and it works perfectly well in OS X Server, though of course terms like =
=E2=80=9CServer=E2=80=9D and =E2=80=9CEnterprise=E2=80=9D are also broad =
enough that you can find both pro and con cases to support either =
argument so I don=E2=80=99t know that it even makes sense to go there.

2. While it is true that the most recent versions of launchd (in =
Mavericks / Yosemite) have not yet been released, you can start with =
earlier versions and some might even argue that it makes more sense to =
do so, as launchd has become somewhat more Apple-centric over time.  We =
had no problems porting the earlier versions of it to NextBSD, however, =
and it=E2=80=99s running there just fine.  It also has an Apache =
license, just to circle back to the license question.

There are other reasons that one may or may not wish to use launchd as a =
service management framework, and I=E2=80=99m certainly not going to =
resurrect the old arguments with Mark H. over that (been there, done =
that, no point in reprising them), but neither of those two would make =
the top-ten list.

- Jordan