Date:      Wed, 29 Jul 1998 12:05:27 -0700
From:      Sean Harding <sharding@gutenberg.uoregon.edu>
To:        Stuart Krivis <stuart@apk.net>
Cc:        Sean Harding <sharding@OREGON.UOREGON.EDU>, Rainer M Duffner <Rainer.Duffner@konstanz.netsurf.de>, freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What tipped the balance

On Wed, 29 Jul 1998, Stuart Krivis wrote:

> Being able to "boot net" is not a reason for choosing a Sun over a PC.

You wanna bet? How many machines do you deal with? Anything like JumpStart
for PCs? If you want to figure out how to efficiently install a new OS on
many machines with FreeBSD and PC hardware, let me know. And besides, this
was just an example. And example of how the software and hardware in
workstations are infinitely better integrated and implemented than
anything in the PC world.

> You can get plenty of work done on a PC running FreeBSD.

Yes, but it takes more time to get there. Especially for someone who has
to admin lots of machines.

> I work for a Sun VAR and I say you're just a hardware bigot. There are
> times when a Sun is better and times it isn't.

Ok, I'm a Sun bigot. That's why I mentioned SGI and even Macs as being in
the same class. I just have been using Sun as an example because we have
lots of them here, and people know Sun. I can talk HP, IBM, Digital, SGI,
and Apple too if that would make you happier. You seem to really be
missing most of my points. First of all, I *never* brought speed or
"snappiness" into the discussion (which, BTW, is a poor measure of
performance. I like windows to open quickly, but I'd rather have my
renders and compiles get done a little sooner or my web server perform
better). Someone else brought that up. My entire point was that
workstation hardware (*not* software) is easier to set up and deal with
than PCs. If you can reasonably argue with that, I'll be very impressed.

Everyone is trying to show me performance stats to dispute my argument.
The fact is, I never said I *cared* about that. For me, it's a matter of
getting my job done. A lot of that is getting and keeping the machines up
and running. And that generally takes a lot less effort when it is a
workstation rather than a PC.

Sean

--
Sean Harding sharding@oregon.uoregon.edu|"It's not a habit, it's cool.