Date:      Thu, 20 Jan 2000 14:05:21 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Jonathon McKitrick <jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   panic during resume with PCMCIA modem

OK, i'm running 3.4 stable on a toshiba 4010cdt.  I have a PCMCIA
modem, and i have tried to resume twice from suspend mode, and the
result is a crash.
fata trap 12: page fault in kernel mode
addr: 0x84
supervisor read, page not present
instruction: 0x8:0xc01d364c
stack 0x10:0xc456cddc
frame 0x10:0xc456cde8
code base 0, limit xfffff type 0x1b
DPL 0, pres 1 def 32 gran 1
eflags interrupt enabled, resume, IDPL = 0
proc = 269 ppp
mask
stopped at sioclose+0x20

Obviously the PCMCIA card gets hosed during resume.  What do i need to
do to eliminate this?  Do i have to close ppp before i suspend?  I
usually start ppp -ddial to my ISP when i start, and i haven't figured
out pppctl.  Do i need to learn this command to do what i want?  I
find that when i lose my ppp connection for some reason, i hve to
reboot to reset the tun device.  There must be an easier way.

"The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long, and you have
burned so very, very brightly."