Date:      Mon, 16 Sep 2013 13:06:14 +0200
From:      Borja Marcos <borjam@sarenet.es>
To:        Steven Hartland <killing@multiplay.co.uk>
Cc:        "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@FreeBSD.org>, freebsd-current@freebsd.org, Dmitryy Makarov <supportme@ukr.net>
Subject:   Re: ZFS secondarycache on SSD problem on r255173

On Sep 13, 2013, at 2:18 PM, Steven Hartland wrote:

> This is a recent bit of code by Justin cc'ed, so he's likely the best =
person to
> investigate this one.

Hmm. There is still a lot of confusion surrounding all this, and it's a =
time bomb waiting to explode.

A friend had serious problems on 9.2 with the gnop trick in order to =
force a 4 KB block size. After a reboot,
ZFS would insist on trying to find the .nop device for the ZIL which, of =
course, did no longer exist. In his case, for some reason,
ZFS didn't identify the labelled gpt/name or gptpd/uuid devices as =
valid, and the pool wouldn't attach. Curiously, it did identify the =
L2ARC=20
without problems.

The cure was to disable GPT labels using loader.conf (I don't remember =
if he disabled kern.geom.label.gptid.enable, kern.geom.label.gpt.enable =
or both) in
order to force it to use the "classical" daXpY nomenclature.

As I said, this sounds like a time bomb in the works. There seems to be =
some confusion in the ZFS between the different naming schemes you
can use for a disk partition right now ( daXpY, gpt label or gptid).

Borja.