Date:      Wed, 13 Oct 1999 11:30:45 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
To:        Robert Watson <robert+freebsd@cyrus.watson.org>
Cc:        David G Andersen <danderse@cs.utah.edu>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeSSH

<<On Wed, 13 Oct 1999 11:13:12 -0400 (EDT), Robert Watson <robert@cyrus.watson.org> said:

> do--upgrade your uucp by a minor version number, not upgrade your whole
> system or recompile from source with the emailed patch.  [...]
> tagging in the source files to say "uucp-3.2" vs "uucp-3.2.1" so it's
> possible to tell what official package versions match which source
> versions.

This makes a lot of people very uncomfortable.  We have tried very
hard to avoid user-visible internal versioning -- either you have
``the version that came with FreeBSD X.X'' or you don't.  What you
suggest is not without merit, but it also opens up a can of worms many
of us would rather see remain closed.

-GAWollman