Date:      Tue, 24 Jul 2001 23:31:18 -0400
From:      Louis LeBlanc <leblanc+freebsd@acadia.ne.mediaone.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Sendmail configuration on FreeBSD - seems more difficult than on Linux . . .

Hey all.  I am getting annoyed with this default sendmail stuff.  I am
trying to set up sendmail to deliver all outgoing mail to a 'smart
host' as I am with my Linux box.  I used the define(SMART_HOST)
directive, but no good.  I even tried MASQUERADE_AS.  No good.  I
wonder if anyone has any other ideas?

This is what I get when sending mail:

Error sending message, child exited 127 (Exec error.).

I am also getting a lot of these messages in /var/log/messages:
Jul 24 23:12:05 acadia sendmail[98415]: f6P3C4898415: Losing
./qff6P3C4898415: savemail panic
Jul 24 23:12:05 acadia sendmail[98415]: f6P3C4898415: SYSERR(root):
savemail: cannot save rejected email anywhere

Any ideas?

Here is what I want to do ultimately:
MTA:  Sendmail
MDA:  Cyrus Imap
Filter: Procmail
MUA:  Mutt

As I found out when I began using mutt, I need sendmail to be able to
relay outgoing messages to a specific smtp host.  My Mandrake system
at work seems to do this without sendmail, but I haven't bothered to
investigate it.

On my RH 6.2 system at home, I am running the setup I have described
above.  Procmail calls the cyrus deliver program to drop the filtered
messages into the correct folder.  Works great there.

I know I am missing something, but I can't find it myself.  Any help?

Thanks in advance.

Lou

--
Louis LeBlanc       leblanc@acadia.ne.mediaone.net
http://acadia.ne.mediaone.net                 ԿԬ

There are always alternatives.
    -- Spock, "The Galileo Seven", stardate 2822.3