Date:      Wed, 19 Jul 2000 16:33:41 -0500
From:      Drew Sanford <drew@planetwe.com>
To:        Kuzak <kuzak@kuzak.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: natd configuratino with PPPoE

I've just gotten a major lesson in doing this. Basicly, what I've found
out is, you are just as well of to use the -nat switch on PPP. You'll
have to make sure that your MTU's are set properly on all NICs (see the
handbook), but other than that it's straight forward. You can use nat
port tcp internal.host:ftp ftp to forward ftp'ing to an internal host,
same goes for web, and other ports you want forwarded to specific
machines.

Kuzak wrote:

> The layout...  I have a FreeBSD gateway here that has 2 NIC's and connects to
> the internet via a DSL modem connected to one of the NIC's.  That NIC is
> dc0 and
> is assigned ip 192.168.0.104.  The other NIC  ( fxp0 ) is connected to the
> lan and
> assigned ip 192.168.0.3.  On the lan there are many other computers using
> ip's
> ranging from 192.168.0.10-192.168.0.100.
>
> The objective:  To redirect traffic from the internet, directed at the
> dynamic ip of the
> DSL connection to a server behind the FreeBSD gateway, say at ip 192.168.0.50.
> I don't need to redirect all traffic, the ultimate goal is to redirect pptp
> connections
> to another server, but if someone could explain to me how to do this with,
> say ftp
> traffic ( port 21 ), I think I could probably extrapolate from there.  I'm
> guessing that
> someone out there knows how to redirect the traffic from a DSL connction to
> another
> computer with a 192.168.0.x address.
>
> Now, I've tred setting this up following some tutorials and walkthroughs
> with natd, and
> I was able to redirect ftp traffic to the server over the lan, but I can't
> get anything to work
> over the internet connection when I connect to the real ip..
>
> I don't need and type of firewall or anything, just the basic open config
> lines that will
> allow this all to work.. I would greatly appriciate it if someone could
> explain to me how
> to do this.. What I think I need are the lines to put into the firewall
> config file ( rc.firewall )
> and the natd commands to run.  I have already compiled the options into my
> kernel that
> enable natd to work... so if someone could please help be out, that would
> be great.
>
> Please CC a copy of emails to kuzak@kuzak.net as I don't subscribe to the
> list.
>         Thanks a lot