Date:      Wed, 13 Feb 2002 09:48:34 -0000
From:      "Beatty, Simon" <Simon.Beatty@northernrock.co.uk>
To:        "'questions@FreeBSD.org'" <questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   FreeBSD 4.4 - a question regarding a directory

Firstly may I state that I am a newcomer to FreeBSD, I have started to work
through the excellent book 'FreeBSD An Open-Source System for Your PC' by
Annelise Anderson. This book comes with version 4.2. I have recently
purchased a boxed set of version 4.4 dated September 2001. Having followed
the installation instructions I have found the set-up to be seamless and
very easy - well done. I have come across my first 'bug' (?) however.

In the book on pages 103/104 it shows how to do the command 'echo $PATH'. I
get the same answer in book except that obviously the last directory in the
path is for my local user, i.e. /usr/home/simon/bin. On page 104 it goes
onto say that if you do the command 'cd bin' you will be switched into the
local 'bin' directory. I get 'NO SUCH FILE OR DIRECTORY'. When I 'cd' the
full directory path I still get the same error message?

Have I done anything wrong in the set-up? Is this a known bug? Are you able
to give me manual instruction to fix this little problem?

Many thanks,
Simon

CONFIDENTIALITY
The information contained in this e-mail and any files transmitted with it
is private and confidential. It is intended for the named addressee only.
If you are not the intended addressee you are prohibited from
storing, copying or using the information in any way.
If you received this e-mail due to a transmission error please notify the
sender immediately. No liability is accepted by Northern Rock
for any losses caused by viruses contracted during transit
over the Internet or present in any receiving system.
This e-mail is not intended to create legally binding commitments on
behalf of Northern Rock plc, nor do its contents reflect the corporate
views or policies of Northern Rock plc.