Date:      Thu, 20 Apr 2000 12:49:10 +0400 (MSK)
From:      Kluchnikov Grigory <grn@ispras.ru>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, qd@H8-gate.kiuca.kiev.ua
Subject:   Re: crash in lastlog

> Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2000 10:37:06 +0300
> From: Valery Zamarayev <qd@H8-gate.kiuca.kiev.ua>
> To: freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
> Subject: crash in lastlog
>
> what does the following mean:
>
> # last -20
>
> qd               ttyp0    qd               Wed  Apr 23:02 - crash  (01:13)
>
> I experienced a crash last night. No strange log messages, no kernel
> core dump (it because it wasn't cooonfigured to dump core - I've
> already corrected this). The only thing I found is that 'crash '
> in lastlog.
>
> So, Under which circumstances does crash appear in lastlog ? If I
> turn off the power, will it appear next time system boots ? Or is
> it added only when kernel panics ?

Valery,
I think 'crash' appear in lastlog only when kernel panics will occur.
I saw same on one FreeBSD host, but don't have detailed information.
I think it's good idea to send this question to freebsd-hackers list.
If you'll catch any information about this problem, please, inform me.

Grigory.

> --
> Valery Zamarayev

Best regards,
Grigory Klyuchnikov
Institute for System Programming Russian Academy of Sciences,
109004, Moscow, Russia, B.Kommunistitcheskay, 25,
  phone(work):   +7-095-9125659
  fax:           +7-095-9121524
  e-mail:        <grn@ispras.ru>