Date:      Wed, 20 May 1998 11:39:53 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mark Tinguely <tinguely@plains.NoDak.edu>
To:        dhw@whistle.com, druber@mail.kersur.net, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: scsi tape status?

>  Unfortunately, I found (when I brought the Perl script over to the
>  FreeBSD environment), "mt status" doesn't report that.

when we open /dev/*st0, and the cartidge is not loaded, it should return
an ENXIO error that could be displayed in mt as the wether the cartidge
is loaded or not.

>  I tried hacking "mt.c" to report what was in the struct mtget (see
>  /usr/include/sys/mtio.h), but the "file" & "block" numbers are in the
>  "not yet implemented" section, as borne out by the results I was getting
>  -- 0, even after "mt -f /dev/nrst0 fsf".

I pittled a file/block counter for the older versions of FreeBSD st
driver. It counts reads/writes/movement requested and reports them
in the mtget structure. I have the patch file in:

	 ftp://ftp.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu/pub/freebsd-st-count/2.2-st-patch

I have not tried it on recent version of sys/scsi/st.c.

--mark.