Date:      Sat, 17 Oct 1998 14:54:47 +0200
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@scc.nl>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: softupdates/smp

Sxren Schmidt wrote:

> > Solid here.  With CAM and softupdates.  Buildworlds like crazy.  Wasn't
> > always that way, but is now.  Real good, this machine get's used heavily
> > for schoolwork (I shouldn't run current on it, but I've been too heavily
> > infected with FreeBSD).
> >
> > It's a dual P6-166, Tyan Titan II.  Wouldn't part with it for the world.
>
> You are lucky I guess, I still think we have race problems in there, at
> least it breaks real fast on a make work -j8 or above on resonably
> fast hardware here, and remember your filesystem is then beyond repair...

This both confuses and worries me. I'm running softupdates on a SMP (dual
PII-266) machine with CAM with no problems. I don't have problems when
running make -jX buildworld, with X >= 8, either.

I'm running SMP for more than 4 months and softupdates for at least 6 weeks
(I don't remember exactly, but I enabled it to test the latest patches for
it). Now I'm being told I'm lucky?

I remember a discussion about exactly this a couple of months ago. I'm
surprised that there still is no consensus (albeit vague) on the current
state of SMP and softupdates.

I accept all consequences for running -current and even throw in some
alpha/beta-testing effort when resources permit it, but I'm not generally
happy when my filesystems FUBAR.

Can SMP and softupdates FUBAR my filesystems or can it still be repaired
(modulo bugs) by fsck?

marcel