Date:      Wed, 28 Jun 2000 15:59:14 +0930 (CST)
From:      Greg Lewis <glewis@trc.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        Francisco Reyes <fran@reyes.somos.net>
Cc:        "freebsd-security@freebsd.org" <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Secure  communication with a windows box

Francisco Reyes wrote:
> One of the things I am doing is trying to identify all the areas
> where we could use FreeBSD.
> Today I just found out there is a project which consists of
> keeping some data on the network, but safe.
> I can read/research about a secure/encrypted file system myself.
> What I would appreciate some pointers is what is a good way to
> have a secure connection between a windows box (probably NT) and
> a FreeBSD Box. This would need to be preferably NFS or Samba. I
> am not sure ftp would be convenient for these users
> (Accounting).
>
> Is there any reasonably secure way to have secure connections to
> mount a freebsd directory from NT?
> Perhaps some kind of tunneling with NT?

Although I haven't actually tried this, you could do this by compiling
Samba with SSL and using sslproxy (see the ports collection) on the NT
side so that the Samba shares were mounted over SSL.

> One thing I was thinking of proposing was Rsync, but I am not
> sure how this would play with them since it is almost as arcane
> as ftp in terms of interface.

Using rsync is quite different from mounting a file system though.

--
Greg Lewis 				glewis@trc.adelaide.edu.au
Computing Officer			+61 8 8303 5083