Date:      Sun, 21 May 2000 21:18:50 +0100
From:      Nick Barnes <Nick.Barnes@pobox.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Mystery crashes with 3.3-RELEASE RAS server

I have a generic PC running as a RAS server.  Celeron 300, 32 MB RAM,
loads of swap, 3.3-RELEASE, Cyclades 16YeP, PPP, SNMPD, MRTG, Apache.
A light load.  After four months of trouble-free operation, it has
spontaneously crashed four times in the last two weeks.  No clues
anywhere in /var/log. The only recent software change has been the
addition of another PPP user on one of the Cyclades ports.

The only other aspect of the machine which I don't understand is why
MRTG (which I run every five minutes) core dumps randomly about once a
week.

This machine is in a locked machine room on the other side of town; I
can't sit in front of it for a week waiting for it to crash.  I can't
trigger the crashes (although it does seem to be associated with a PPP
connection being established).  I'm lost for a way to proceed.  So I'm
working on the basis that it's probably a hardware fault.  I'm going
to swap it for a new machine.

Other suggestions?

Nick Barnes