Date:      Wed, 9 Dec 1998 21:13:34 -0500 (EST)
From:      Spike Gronim <spork@ix.netcom.com>
To:        ZorkLord <zorklord@xtreme.net.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: your mail

On Wed, 10 Dec 1997, ZorkLord wrote:

> FreeBSD Inc.
>
>         Hey, I'm sick of Winblows from Microspastic, and FreeBSD looks
>         like the best alternative, I just have a few questions before
>         I go ahead with it.  My situation is that I have a 4.3Gig HDD
>         split into two 2.15Gig partitions, the second partition has
>         nothing on it as yet but is formatted to FAT16, the first
>         partition is also FAT16 and has Windows 98 installed, I need
>         to leave Windows on there for the rest of the family.  My
>         first question is, if I install FreeBSD on the second
>         partition of my hard drive, there will be alot of space let
>         over, can I still access/use this spare space with Windows/DOS
>         or will I be only able to access this patition with FreeBSD?

You can set it up so FreeBSD takes the second partition, which will then
not be accessible in Winblows. You can set up a boot manager in your
master boot record (during the install) which will give you the option of
booting Winblows/FreeBSD.

>         Also, can I run any UNIX/Linux application on FreeBSD?  What

You can run any executable built for FreeBSD (barring major version
differences) on your FreeBSD system, and you can run (the vast majority
of) Linux programs under FreeBSD. I run Linux StarOffice (word processor)
and Linux Quake2, both work fine. Used to run Linux Netscape 4.07, that
worked fine as well.

>         is X Windows?  If I hate Windows will I hate X Windows??  Is

X Windows is a graphical interface to Unix. You will not necessarily hate
X if you hate Winblows. One of the great things about X is it's
configurability- You can make it emulate everything from a Mac to Windows
to Nextstep, as well as tons of stuff that doesn't look like anything
else.

>         there anywhere to download FreeBSD in a zip file or something
>         like that, it just seems a pain in the ass to have to d/l all
>         those files seperatly and in all the different directories,
>         how big is it in total anyway?  Any answers would be most

I believe you would d/l the files in a comressed/archived form anyway....
If d/ling the files over a modem is a pain in the ass, consider the $40
CD's from Walnut Creek Cdrom (www.cdrom.com) or the $20 CheapBytes CD's
(www.cheapbytes.com). (US currency)

The minimal installation (good for initial installation - you can grab the
rest overnight at a later point in time) is about 60M.

>         appreciated as I cant go ahead with the installation without
>         the answers...
>

> Yours Faithfully
>
>       Stephen Swincer
>       -zL zorklord@xtreme.net.au

Hope you love FreeBSD- I sure do, and I think all the less of Winblows
after having used it.

	-Spike Gronim
	 sporkl@ix.netcom.com

		The majority only rules those who let them.