Date:      Tue, 5 Nov 2002 09:54:14 +1100
From:      Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au>
To:        Chris BeHanna <behanna@zbzoom.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Stable <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: installworld from a cross-buildworld

On 2002-Nov-03 19:51:49 -0500, Chris BeHanna <behanna@zbzoom.net> wrote:
>On Mon, 4 Nov 2002, Peter Jeremy wrote:
>
>> I have a fast x86 machine and a slow Alpha so I'd like to be able to
>> do the Alpha buildworlds on the x86 and then install via NFS.
>>
>> 	make TARGET_ARCH=alpha buildworld
>> works, and I can successfully mount /usr/src (actually /home/src4)
>> and /usr/obj/alpha (actually /home/obj/alpha) onto the Alpha.  But
>> the installworld fails because there's no /usr/obj/home/src4/alpha
>> tree (built as /home/obj/alpha/home/src4/alpha ).
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>
>    Make sure the mount points match the environment on which the
>build was done, then tweak using MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX?.
>
>    targetbox# mount -t nfs buildbox:/home/src4 /home/src4
>    targetbox# mount -t nfs buildbox:/home/obj  /home/obj
>    targetbox# cd /home/src4
>    targetbox# env MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX=/home/obj/alpha make installworld
>
>Worst case, the mounted filesystems may need a symlink from
>/home/obj/alpha/home/src4 to /home/obj/alpha/usr/src to trick
>the build environment.

The problem is that the cross-build environment builds a cross build/
install environment suitable for the build machine.  In order to do
the install on the target machine, I need an install environment built
for it.

Having had a closer look at /usr/src/Makefile.inc1, I suspect that
running some combination of _bootstrap-tools, _build-tools and
_cross-tools on the target will work, but I need to do some more
investigation.  I doubt I'll get the chance before next weekend.

In any case, it seems that cross-building from x86 to Alpha is
currently broken due to compiler problems.  (It builds but doesn't
run).

Peter