Date:      Sat, 15 Jan 2000 13:38:41 +0000
From:      George Cox <gjvc@extremis.demon.co.uk>
To:        "Ray D. Davis" <snoopy@mail.airmail.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to run compiled program

On 14/01 19:43, Ray D. Davis wrote:

> I am on ver 2.8.

I think what you mean to say is that you have version 2.8.x of gcc.

> I have compiled an equivalent of hello world in both c and c++ using both
> the default a.out method and the -o option.

Like this?

  gcc -Wall -o hw hw.c

Or perhaps like this:

  gcc -Wall -c hw.c
  gcc -o hw hw.o

?

> Yet when I try to execute the file which is supposed to be linked, by
> typing the file name, eg.  ntest, the system says ntest: not a command.

That's because your command shell is not looking the current directory for
executable programs.

Continuing our example above, you should type:

  ./hw

to get the program to execute.

best;

gjvc