Date:      25 Mar 2001 14:59:09 -0500
From:      Lowell Gilbert <lowell@world.std.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Out of disk space on /

smnoldelinux@mediaone.net (Scott Nolde) writes:

> I'm in the middle of a 'make installworld && make mergemaster' and I
> keep getting a "filespace full" error.  Is there any way I can create a
> symlink to my /usr partition just so I can regain some space?

Yes.  However, it's usually not a good idea, because almost everything
on the root partition needs to be there in case a problem keeps /usr
from getting mounted.  /tmp is the main target for moving off of the
root partition, but cleaning it out is often just as effective.
Also, running softupdates on your root partition can have this result,
because when you delete  a file on a softupdates partition, the space
isn't freed up again for tens of seconds.  [Personally, I just don't
run softupdates on my root partition; given that it doesn't get
changed often, there's hardly any point.]