Date:      Thu, 3 Jan 2002 02:38:09 +0100 (CET)
From:      BOUWSMA Beery <freebsd-user@netscum.dyndns.dk>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   more observations on nullfs filesystem

[replies sent directly to me may timeout and bounce, since I'm not
 online as often as I should be, but I'll check the list archives]

Guten Morgen

This was tried under -current (and probably -stable too)

Should a nullfs mount handle options the way that one would
expect from a normal filesystem mount?

In particular, I have a read-only nullfs mount, but accesses
to that read-only filesystem result in the atime being updated
on the True Filesystem.

Remounting the nullfs with `noatime' makes no difference --
again accessing files in the read-only directories result in
updates of the Real Filesystem.

Only by remounting the original fs with `noatime' do I get the
wanted result, with the drawback that not only are accesses via
the nullfs path, as desired, but all other accesses to the
original filesystem get ignored.

Specifically, I have system source in a /usr/local/system/source
directory, but I've nullfs mounted that read-only on /usr/src
and want to eliminate pretty much all updates to the /usr/local/...
filesystem when building the world.

Or is this something that the nullfs mount will not do, keeping
atime updates from reaching the layer below, no matter whether
read-only or noatime or anything similar is specified?

thanks
barry bouwsma