Date:      Thu, 16 Jul 1998 16:49:10 -0700
From:      Paul Wolstenholme <wolstena@sfu.ca>

Greetings,

I have just purchaed a new PC runn FreeBSD 2.2.6.  The computer is using:
ASUS P2L97-S with onboard AIC 7880
128 MB RAM
WD 4.3 GB UWide SCSI HD
HP C1533A 9406 Dat drive (DDS 1) external

The first time I installed the OS everything ran fine for a couple of
days and then ... it died.  A bunck of SCSI message looped across the
console and then it would not boot and I could not reinstall the OS.  I
got a panic: not going anywhere without my init.

I was able to get things up again by removing the tape drive from the
SCSI chain.  I was able to put the tape drive back on the chain after I
replaced the terminator?

Now that the computer is up again, I was hoping thatsomeone might be
apble to confirm that I have done things correctly or not.  Especially in
reqard to the DAT unit which is not ultra wide.

The tape drive is connected to the external port using a 68 pin cable
with a 68-> 50 ping gender changer which is used to connect to the
drive.  Is this a bad thing to do?

I have modified the SCSI card config for the tape drive (device #5) so
that it does not initiate sync negotiatiion and I have reduced the sync
transfer rate down  to 10MB/s.  The rest is factory including the Iniate
Wide negotiation which I wasn't sure whether I should disable or not.
This is an old device so I thought it might be better to tune things down
a bit.  Have I done the right things here or am I pissing in the to the
wind.

The SCSI card config is terminated with LOW ON and HIGH ON.  The EXtended
Bio Translation is disabled.  On the first go it was enabled but I read
in one of the archives that if you were having problems try disabling it
so I did.  The rest is factory.

Both the HD and external port are connect via the 68 pin cable.  The 50
pin is not used.  The hard drive and external tape drive are both
terminated.  Is this correct? Or should only one be terminated.  The
cabling seems a bit bizaar to me.  The HD and External ports are at
opposite ends of the cable.  I have only set up 50pin  devices before where
the SCSI card is at one end and you terminate the card and last device.

If anyone can see any obvious mistakes or has any suggestions on how to I
might make it more stable I would be greatly apreciative.  As it stands,
I would rather forget this week.

/Paul