Date:      Sun, 14 Jul 1996 02:49:26 -0400 (EDT)
From:      ellison4 <richard@resolution.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        kgraham@ahoynet.com
Subject:   96071401 ; FreeBSD v2.1 w/CR-562 CDROM Installation

I have tried installing FreeBSD verion 2.1 by using install.bat,
makeflp.bat, inst_ide.bat and atapiflp.bat only to have one of two results.
The first result is that it uses the existing kernel with the matcdc0
(matsushita/panasonic-Soundblaster) at the preset address of 230 and it is
not found.  The other outcome is just as frustrating, if I invoke the -c
option of fbsdboot (fbsdboot -c -D kernel or kernel.ide)  for user
defineable peripherals and set the address correctly, the line for matcdc0
states Panasonic / by FDIV ... rather than the not found statement, but the
Welcome to FreeBSD installation screen comes up frozen. The system is locked
on that screen.  I have even tried only defining the floppy disk, hard disk
and cd rom.  It apparently finds the disk drives just fine because their
geometry is reported correctly and the floppy cycles when it is probed. I
can access, format and destroy data on my hard disks.
The machine is a 486 DX2 66 SIS471B vlb motherboard, 24 megs ram, mitsumi
1.44 floppy, Future Domain 32000 EIDE /VLB controller, Conner CFS1275A 1.2
Gig EIDE and Quantum ELS127A 120 meg hard disks, Matsushita CR562 CD ROM
drive attached to a SoundBlaster Pro-2 (1600) sound card, SMC 8416 combo
(BNC/10BT) ethernet network card, Cirrus Logic 1 meg video card attached to
a Sony CPD-1430 monitor. MS-DOS and Windows NT 3.5 run just fine on this
machine.
I desparately want to get this installed using the cd rom instead of my hard
disk.  How can I accomplish this?  What am I not doing correctly?  Thank you.
Richard