Date:      Fri, 28 Jan 2005 09:04:20 +0100
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?S=F8ren_Schmidt?= <sos@DeepCore.dk>
To:        Chris Faulhaber <jedgar@fxp.org>
Cc:        'FreeBSD Current' <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ATAPI CD changers anybody ?

First thanks to all those that responded to this inquiry, it has given=20
me a pointer to how wanted this is.

Chris Faulhaber wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 24, 2005 at 05:36:52PM +0100, S?ren Schmidt wrote:
>=20
>>Seems I lost my lonely ATAPI CDROM with built in changer to the eternal=
=20
>>HW scrapyards, let it rest in peace :)
>>
>>Finding a new one seems difficult so I thought I'd ask around how many =

>>still has one of these ?
>>
>>I ask because the support code for those seem to have suffered bitrot t=
o=20
>>the degree that it most likely hasn't worked on -current (maybe even=20
>>5.x) for a long time, but alas I cant test that.
>>
>>Now, since it seems that such devices are no longer made, and newer=20
>>really caught on, I need some good reasons to keep the (broken) support=
=20
>>in there.
>>
> I have two of these, a 4x and 6x:
>=20
> acd0-3: CDROM with 4 CD changer <NEC CD-ROM DRIVE:251> at ata1-master P=
IO3
>=20
> I still use one under 4.x but since they will not read many newer
> CDR's and CDRW's their usefulness is waning.

Exactly, and it is much cheaper and ALOT faster to copy those CD images=20
to a harddisk and be doen with it.

> If you would like one in order to continue supporting them, send
> me your address and I will have one shipped.

Thanks! I'll first decide if I want to keep the support alive for 6.0,=20
and I'll get back to those with these drives if/when I need to get it=20
tested etc...

--=20

-S=F8ren