Date:      Wed, 13 Oct 1999 02:47:04 +0900
From:      "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
To:        Michael Lucas <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3.5-stable ?

Michael Lucas wrote:

> With 2.2.x, we has several months of "reliable stable" operation.  I'm
> just concerned because I'm waiting to upgrade some 2.2x systems until
> 3.5.  I'd rather not go through the upgrade just to face the same
> software backporting issues I'm currently facing with 2.x systems
> after only a couple months.

2.2.x went so long because 3.x took so long. 3.0 was once called
2.3, even. The not-as-impressively-stable-as-2.2.[5678] status of
3.x is to a large extent a result of it's delay. It became too much
in a single step, which, in turn, end up resulting in a much larger
amount of time needed to stabilize the code.

Frankly, a year and a half is way too much wait for a system to
become stable. Hopefully, the shorter development cycle of 4.0 will
result in a 4.x line getting stabilized much faster.

All of the above is IMHO, though.

All that said, 3.x-stable is quite reliable. Most problem reports I
have seen turned out to be operator errors, with a few known trouble
spots (nfs, out of mbufs panic). The releases have been cursed with
annoying problems getting past unnoticed, but they have been related
to installation, not reliability, and a simple wait of a couple of
weeks and use of Errata mitigates it.

--
Daniel C. Sobral			(8-DCS)
dcs@newsguy.com

	"I always feel generous when I'm in the inner circle of a
conspiracy to subvert the world order and, with a small group of
allies, just defeated an alien invasion. Maybe I should value myself
a little more?"