Date:      Wed, 23 Jul 1997 08:52:21 -0700
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /etc/rc.conf

> >> Has anyone noticed there rc.conf file mysteriously getting bigger after
> >> doing cvsups to stable. Seems that I have a 600k file and comments are
> >> being tagged onto the ends of the lines to form _very_ long lines, it
> >> still works though.
> >

> I have the same problem. Didn't think of it beeing cvsup, but it could very
> well be so. I set the mode to r--r--r-- for the time beeing. For your info;
> I only cvsup the ports collection.

Sheesh.  Come on, you guys -- make an effort, will ya?!

1. CVSup doesn't touch the /etc directory.

2. CVSup verifies the MD5 checksum of every file that it updates.

3. CVSup doesn't have a history of corrupting people's files.

4. On the other hand, there is a history of pure speculation similar
   to this thread, which only fuels more such nonsense, thank you
   very much.

5. If you really thought it was a CVSup bug, then why didn't you
   report it to cvsup-bugs@polstra.com?