Date:      Thu, 24 Sep 1998 12:32:01 -0700
From:      "Joseph M. Scott" <jmscott@ainet.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   watching syslog

	In an effort to keep better track of things I've got a central syslog
machine, all into one file.  What I wanted to do was to watch everything
that goes into this one file ( via syslog ) and watch for specific things (
mail relaying stuff, etc ).  About this time I came across swatch ( which
is also in the ports ), I tried it out for a little while, but after
reading through the code I've got more than a few issues.  I've been unable
to contact the author, and it looks like swatch hasn't been touched in
many, many, many years.
	So I started working on one.  I've been fairly happy with, although it
doesn't have all the feature of swatch it does the job, it does support
things like qpage ( which I like very much, also in the ports ).  There
some perl issues that are of some concern ( I wrote with 5.00404 ), such as
reliable signals.  I've been thinking about continuing work on this, and
possibly using perl 5.005.  However I was wondering what other FreeBSD'ers
are using in these types of situations.  Syslog is definitely very cool,
but I'd like to know what's happening as it's happening ( via email,
alphanumeric paging, etc ).  Grep'ing through logs after the fact is also
nice, but seems to serve a different approach.

	Thoughts, ideas?

Thanks.

Joseph Scott
jmscott@ainet.com