Date:      Thu, 19 Jan 2006 17:28:02 -0800
From:      Jacob Meuser <jakemsr@jakemsr.com>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ffmpeg doesn't record sound from WinTV.

On Thu, Jan 19, 2006 at 04:27:36PM +0100, Frank J. Beckmann wrote:

> > hmm, I am stumped.  looks like I will have to find a partition to install
> > FreeBSD on again (I use OpenBSD, but I did have this working fine with
> > FreeBSD at one point).  what version of FreeBSD are you using?
>
> I'm using: FreeBSD 6.0-STABLE #7: Tue Jan  3 01:42:01 CET 2006
>
> You could send me patches and I tell you what happens, if that helps.

well, I need to see what has changed between FBSD 5.3 and 6.0, but
I will send you patches as they become available ;)

> > > BTW: How can I set the channel with transcode?
> >
> > you can't.  use bsdbktrtvtune, or whatever it's called, or you could
> > use fxtv or xawtv or something else.  they shouldn't reset the tuner
> > after they close.  alternatively, you could install my bsdav package
> > and use tunerctl http://jakemsr.com/bsdav/
>
> bsdbktrtvtune does not work with FreeBSD 6.0. bsdav ist marked ignore:
>
> ** Port marked as IGNORE: multimedia/bsdav:
>         does not work. We need to import bktv patches from OpenBSD to make it
> work

the only thing that is broken without that patch is muting/unmuting the
tuner with tunerctl.  without that change, the tuner device must be held
open to remain unmuted.  the other effects are that tunerctl will report
inaccurate information about the tuner.

> fxtv always wants to use the deprecated dga that is not supported by the
> nvidia driver any more. And xawtv always needs an X display and there is no
> possibility to set the chanel in script. :-(
>
> Looks like we need some kind of video4bsd...

nah.  the patch in the OpenBSD bktr is really quite simple, and goes a
long way toward making the tuner device less braindead.

http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/src/sys/dev/pci/bktr/bktr_core.c.diff?r1=1.15&r2=1.16

btw, if this were in the FreeBSD bktr, your issue would likely not have
occured, because with this, programs must explicitly mute/unmute the
tuner instead of relying on open()/close() to do the magic.

--
<jakemsr@jakemsr.com>