Date:      Wed, 14 Feb 2001 12:36:20 -0600
From:      "Mark Yeck" <marky@crestaudio.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Markftp slow to connect - (again)

Ok. I've seen this exact problem on this list
before (I think from Steve Price), but I think
that I can characterize it a little bit further.
Running ftpd from inetd, it takes about 6-7
minutes to get a login prompt. *Also*, if I remove
ftpd from inetd and try to run it from the command
line with /usr/libexec/ftpd -D4, it takes 6-7
minutes to become a daemon. During this time,
top says that the state of ftpd is 'kqread'. I
dont really know what that means. Some kernel
thing, i assume. During this time, ftp attempts
are met with "Connection refused". After the 6-7
minutes are up, ftpd becomes a daemon and the
command prompt returns, the state in top becomes
'accept' and an ftp connection can be established
instantly. I have no idea what the problem is, but
I dont think that its a reverse dns issue, since
the delay occurs before an ftp connection attempt.
my temporary solution is to start an ftpd on boot,
but i'd like to have it working out of inetd if
possible.=20

here's the line from top:=20

515 root 2 0 1076K 744K kqread 0:00 0.00% 0.00% ftpd=20

marky% uname -a=20
FreeBSD marky.USA.PEC000 4.1.1-RELEASE FreeBSD 4.1.1-RELEASE #2: Fri Jan =
19 10:13:57 EST 2001
marky@marky.USA.PEC i386=20

If any other info will help, let me know and I'll
send it right away.=20

-mark=20