Date:      Thu, 1 Jun 2006 16:08:14 -0500
From:      Don Hinton <don.hinton@vanderbilt.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Atanas Atanasov <thenasko@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: Problem with wireless card drivers

On Thursday 01 June 2006 15:03, Atanas Atanasov wrote:
> Are you sure one should use ndiscvt? I mean i tried it the same except
> for getting pccarddefs.h (which as they say will be used in eventual
> kernel compiles) and for synchronising the source which I cannot do
> because no network is available. I have wireless only connection.
>
> Most people say that ndisgen is the "better" method as from 6.0.
> Actually it seems due to unknown reasons the old method is not
> supported anymore.

I have an hp nx9600 with a similar (or same) card, and ndisgen worked fine.  I
didn't modify rc.conf, but instead use kldload to load the module when I need
it.

Here's what I do:

# kldunload /root/bcmwl5_sys.ko
#dmesg
ndis0: <Broadcom 802.11b/g WLAN> mem 0xc8206000-0xc8207fff irq 17 at device
3.0 on pci11
ndis0: NDIS API version: 5.1
ndis0: Ethernet address: 00:90:4b:af:7f:68

What does dmesg tell you when you try to load the module?

hth...
don