Date:      Sun, 19 Sep 1999 11:15:26 -0300 (ADT)
From:      Bryan Bursey <bbursey@mechv.me.tuns.ca>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        Barry Pederson <bpederson@geocities.com>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3.3-R: passwd dependencies

I was unable to set a root password with the system reporting the same
message as is below.  I seem to remember JKH mentioning that it was due to
some linking problems with the relese posted on releng3.  This was quickly
corrected (ie. I reinstalled since I had done a clean install just hours
earlier) and I guess those have this trouble should be able to fix it my
grabbing a newer snapshot.  Just bad timing...

Bryan
CFDnet.com

(I apologize if I've messed up the To: and CC: headers...  its my first
time posting and if soneone would want to email me directly to let me know
who should be in each field, I'd appreciate it.)

On Sat, 18 Sep 1999, Mike Smith wrote:

|I believe that you will see this with certain combinations of Kerberos
|components installed.  Sysinstall won't (can't) protect you from doing
|silly things with those bits and pieces.
|
|(IMO the Kerberos parts should not be so easy to install).
|
|> Valentin Nechayev wrote:
|> >
|> > /usr/bin/passwd from bin packages of 3.3-RELEASE wants libraries:
|> >         libkadm.so.3
|> >         libkrb.so.3
|> >         libdes.so.3
|> >
|> > Is it correct? ;(
|>
|> Could be..I've been having problems with that too.  Downloaded the
|> 3.3-Release (gzipped) ISO Image last night, and even on a minimum
|> install, the part where you are supposed to set the root password just
|> blows by, but when you create an additional user, everything works ok.
|>
|> When the system boots up for the first time, root has no passwd, and the
|> passwd command gives an error saying either libkadm or libkrb as
|> mentioned above is missing.   Logging in as the additional user created
|> at startup works fine, but when you try to do a "su", you get an error
|> saying libkadm or libkrb is missing (passwd bitches about one of them,
|> su the other, I don't recall offhand which is which).
|>
|> Something is definitely goofed there, or the install lets you setup a
|> goofed system.
|>
|> 	Barry

|> with "unsubscribe freebsd-stable" in the body of the message

|--
|\\  The mind's the standard       \\  Mike Smith
|\\  of the man.                   \\  msmith@freebsd.org
|\\    -- Joseph Merrick           \\  msmith@cdrom.com

|with "unsubscribe freebsd-stable" in the body of the message

Bryan Bursey, DEng
Dept. of Mechanical Engineering
DalTech (TUNS)