Date:      Sun, 6 Aug 2000 13:28:07 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Archie Cobbs <archie@whistle.com>
To:        Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>
Cc:        dennis@etinc.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ether_ifattach() issue

Neil Blakey-Milner writes:
> > No interface should be attached twice, Ethernet or other, right?
> > So try this patch and find out which driver is broken.
>
> I think the concern was because the semantics to attach devices changed,
> meaning that drivers from before no longer work.

Hmm.. my understanding was that it was never OK to attach the
same interface twice (without detaching in between). So if this
behavior worked before then it was just "luck".

In any case, IMHO in the future it doesn't make sense to allow
an interface to attach twice... what would that mean anyway?

Admittedly there may be a backward compatibility problem, but
it seems like the origin of the problem is in the driver, not
the ether_attach() routine.

-Archie