Date:      Wed, 09 Jun 1999 20:56:44 -0500
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: /usr/ports: recursive "make fetch"?

Doug White writes:
> On Mon, 7 Jun 1999, David Kelly wrote:
>
> > On my dialup connection I'd like to be able to prefetch all the
> > elements of a complex port such as /usr/ports/x11/kde11. Then drop the
> > line. And *then* compile.
> >
> > "make fetch" does not recurse into the sub-ports of a combinded port
> > such as kde11. I'm interested in a fetch which walks the tree much like
> > "make clean".
>
> You need to drop a bit further into the build, where it starts resolving
> dependencies.  Try doing 'make extract', although I know there are some
> other dependencies picked up in the install phase.
>
> Optionally, you can 'make fetch' the required packages by looking at the
> kde11 Makefile and looking for the *_DEPENDS lines.  It will want any
> ports listed there.

Yup. And then you have to recurse thru *those* ports looking for the
_DEPENDS stuff... The proper place to do this is in the /usr/share/mk/
stuff. Probably a new target, "rfetch". One day I'll look into it closer
but for now wanted to put the bug in somebody's ear, and possibly
inspire them to do it for me.  :-)