Date:      Thu, 11 Jan 2001 10:57:20 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Cliff Sarginson <cliff@raggedclown.net>
Cc:        j mckitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: changing CMOS time on a laptop

On Thursday, 11 January 2001 at  0:40:14 +0100, Cliff Sarginson wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 10, 2001 at 07:39:43PM +0000, j mckitrick wrote:
>>
>> OK, I know 'date' can be used to change the *kernel* time, but the CMOS
>> clock is still holding the old time.  What do I use to change it?
>
> hwclock --utc --systohc

Have you tried this?

  # hwclock --utc --systohc
  hwclock: not found

hwclock is a kludge used in Linux to make up for the fact that the
date(1) command doesn't set the CMOS clock correctly.  FreeBSD's
implementation of date(1) *does* set the CMOS clock correctly, so
there's no hwclock.

This doesn't help Jonathon, of course.  Without knowing more about his
laptop, it's difficult to answer that question.  Most laptops set time
with no problems.

Greg
If you don't, I may ignore the reply.