Date:      Wed, 13 Feb 2002 00:10:51 -1000
From:      Carl Tucker <flestrin@worldnet.att.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Help, I've broken X

Ok. I like to think I'm not totally clueless, but every once in a
while, I do something that makes me reconsider.

I wanted to remove a user, so I did 'vipw' and deleted the line for
that user. So far so good. Then, I changed to /usr/home, and, as
root, issued: find . -delete -print -user [user]

This was a really good way to learn the RIGHT way to use find(1),
which I thought I knew well enough, but now I have a problem.

Midway through happily deleting everything under /usr/home, I got a
bad feeling and killed it. Only half of my personal home directory
was wiped, and nobody else's was touched. Some of my dotfiles were
lost, some remained. I rewrote most of the ones that I needed, like
.login.

The problem is, now no matter what I do, X won't start. Just for me.
Everyone else is fine. It seems to start the X server, the screen
shifts over like it's going to work, then about the time it would
start the window manager, it dies as if I'd hit [ctrl][alt][bs]. No
error messages.

I recreated my .xinitrc to only have 'exec blackbox &' as the only
line, but the same thing happens.

I can't start blackbox or fvwm2, or kde. Everyone else uses kde, and
it still works for them.

I created a new user, just for testing, and the new user can't start
X in any way, just like my own account.

Help?

--
 Carl Tucker              |  flestrin@worldnet.att.net