Date:      Thu, 12 Mar 1998 17:26:22 -0500 (EST)
From:      Shaun <shaun@thecore.com>
To:        Bill MacEachern <bill@taske.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Quake2 3.14a dedicated still 100% CPU

On Thu, 12 Mar 1998, Bill MacEachern wrote:
> Has anyone tried running Quake2 3.14a as a dedicated server?  Previous to
> 3.14a there was a bug that used your entire CPU when running as a background
> process, but user only 2-5% CPU when running from shell.  Version 3.14a has
> supposedly fixed the problem for Linux users but it still chews my whole
> box.  Anyone have the same problem, or manage to lick it?

Make sure your have "+set dedicated 1" on your command line. It should
look something like this:

quake2 +set dedicated 1 +exec server.cfg

If you don't put the "+set dedicated 1" on the cmdline it will run
at 100% CPU from my experience. I have it running here at about 5%
CPU with no users on the server.

+-- http://www.download.net ------------- http://www.thecore.com --+
| Shaun M. Finn                    TechnoCore Communications, Inc. |
| shaun@thecore.com                Internet Web Services & Access  |
| VOICE: (732)928-7400             P.O. Box 106                    |
|   FAX: (732)928-7402             Jackson, NJ 08527-0106          |