Date:      Wed, 16 Feb 2000 13:54:55 -0600
From:      Bob Willcox <bob@luke.immure.com>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Supermicro PIIIDM3 MB won't boot 4.0-current kernel

Hi All,

I just received a Supermicro PIIIDM3 motherboard (they just became
available) that 4.0-current will not boot on.  This is a brand new board
using the Intel 840 chipset (also has two 3.3v, 64-bit PCI slots, which
is why I needed it).

Attempting to boot the 4.0-20000214-CURRENT snapshot floppies causes it
to panic with the following screen output:

Booting [kernel] ...

fault virtual address = 0x0
fault code            = supperfisor read, page not present
instruction pointer   = 0x8:0x0
stack pointer         = 0x10:0xc05f9ffc
frame pointer         = 0x10:0x0
code segment          = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
                      = DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
processor eflags      = interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL=0
current process       = Idle
interrupt mask        = net tty bio cam
trap number           = 12
panic: page fault

Though this is a dual cpu MB I only have one processor plugged into it
(533MHz PIII).

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions and/or pointers on where to
go next.  I have also tried booting some older -current kernels, but
they also fail (though the 4.0-20000210-CURRENT snapshot kernel quickly
reboots rather than panicing).

Thanks in advance,
Bob

--
Bob Willcox                 The infliction of cruelty with a good conscience
bob@immure.com              is a delight to moralists.  That is why they