Date:      Tue, 18 Jun 2002 19:57:47 -0400
From:      "Matthew Emmerton" <matt@gsicomp.on.ca>
To:        <glbj@verizon.net>, "Moti Levy" <moti@flncs.com>
Cc:        <FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Re: Still no luck. FBSD not forwarding packets.

> > gateway enable should be fine ....
> > 3.if you have a box with 192.168.123.9 netmask 255.255.255.0 with
gateway
> > 192.168.123.8 as default gateway
> > you cant ping 192.168.1.2 ?
>
> Default gateway was xx.xx.1.1. I realized that was wrong. I had it working
with xx.xx.123.8 when I was connected to Verizon. When I switched it back to
123,8 i COULD ping xx.xx.1.2 but still not xx.xx.1.1.

> > 4.if you run tcpdump -i rl0 icmp on the box and ping it from the lan can
you
> > see echo requests ?
>
> Yes. When pinging xx.xx.1.1 but not xx.xx.1.2 as would be expected. I also
tried pinging several Internet sites that respond when pinged from the BSD
box. When pinged from W98 box, I see the outgoing packets, but, of course,
no incoming ones. Since pings generated from the BSD box are sucessful and
those from the W98 boxes are not, _AND_ I can see outgoing packets on rl0
(via tcpdump) I am now both less and more confused than ever.  <* Sigh *>

> Any ideas where to look next?

If you're running a private LAN, you're probably running nat.  Do you have
natd_enable="YES" in your /etc/rc.conf?

--
Matt