Date:      Wed, 10 Jan 2001 20:19:26 -0500 (EST)
From:      Trevor Johnson <trevor@jpj.net>
To:        Jason DiCioccio <Jason.DiCioccio@Epylon.com>
Cc:        <security@freebsd.org>, Berend de Boer <berend@pobox.com>
Subject:   RE: CERT advisory:  "Interbase Server Contains Compiled-in Back D oor Account"

> Can any users of this package confirm if they actually knew about
> this backdoor account?  I don't see how a backdoor account accidently
> makes its way into a database package like this.  If this was
> undocumented/unknown, I would have to assume it might have been
> intentional from someone working on the project perhaps?  I do not
> use this database package, so I can't accuse anyone or any company of
> this, but it's hard to imagine a 'backdoor account' making it's way
> in the source otherwise.  I guess we'll have to wait for a Borland
> advisory.

Hi, Jason.  I'm not sure what you mean:  that we should assume
everything's fine and do nothing unless Borland also says there's a
problem, or that you will just be curious about the origin of the problem
until they explain it.

FWIW the problem is also described at http://www.interbase2000.com/ (which
apparently does not belong to Borland).

The backdoor is not documented in the pkg-descr file for the port.  If the
port is not fixed or forbidden, and it has the backdoor, the fact should
at least be documented there.
--
Trevor Johnson
http://jpj.net/~trevor/gpgkey.txt