Date:      Thu, 5 Mar 1998 22:24:43 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        * <ama165@sopris.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HELP!!!!!

On Wed, 4 Mar 1998, * wrote:

> I just purchased the FreeBSD 2.2.5 CDROM's & Book last week, and I'm having
> a problem with ping the server (FreeBSD Server). I have checked my network,
> I cable tested all CAT-5 connections, the hub has a light for each station
> including Free BSD-Server, I can ping the NT Server sitting next to it, I
> can ping my PM3, I can ping all work stations, But I can not ping
> Workstations from FreeBSD. I can do the internal ping 127.0.0.1.....

Okay.

> I'm using the 3COM 509 NIC
> ifconfig is set correctly? I have no errors when booting FreeBSD....
> Please help!!!! I have 3-T's installed today & can't get UNIX ISP Server to
> work!!!!!

Most likely all you need is a default route to your network.  Modify
/etc/rc.conf and set the `defaultrouter' keyword to the IP address of your
router.  Also check that you have an ifconfig_ep0 line that properly sets
up your Ethernet card.

If you can't seem to get it, please post the output of the `dmesg',
`netstat -rn', and `ifconfig -a' commands, and the contents of
/etc/rc.conf.  I'll also need to know your network details (station IP
address, gateway/router, netmask).