Date:      Thu, 20 Feb 2003 04:46:24 +0100
From:      Cliff Sarginson <cls@raggedclown.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: GECOS field question (names)

On Wed, Feb 19, 2003 at 06:29:08PM -0500, Forrest Aldrich wrote:
> I've a user that has a funny last name, which is separated by a real " "
> (space).   Because of this, most programs will parse it as having a first,
> middle, last.   Is there some fancy way I can get this joined without
> cosmetically altering it to have another character to join it (like a hard
> space, etc)?

2 Suggestions, neither tested:

- Put a ",' (comma) after the name (finger looks for this)
- Put it in quotes

  :Fred "van de Bedrock":

Just a thought.

A "hard" space ??
It's just a text file :)

There is a structure to it for the use of the "finger" program, how
other programs choose to parse it is probably up to the author.
Looking at pwd.h it is just a simple ptr to a character string.

--
Regards
   Cliff Sarginson