Date:      Wed, 30 Jun 1999 13:28:57 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
To:        Andrij Korud <akorud@polynet.lviv.ua>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Linux emulation

On 30 Jun 1999, Andrij Korud wrote:

> Hi.
> While trying to run PowerAlert plus for Linux on FreeBSD 3.2-STABLE box I
> got a message:
> "LINUX: 'ioctl' fd=0, typ=0x54(T), num=0x17 not implemented"
> Any ideas?
>
> regards,
> Andrij Korud

I'll be darned if I wasn't trying the same thing yesterday. :-)  I'm
betting that ioctl has something to do with opening the serial port,
since the daemon keeps spitting out "Communication to UPS lost" in the
logs, even though I verified communication by using tip(1) on the port
and chatting with the UPS (the UPS "driver" files, which are actually
Win-INI style text files, are a good albeit cryptic reference to what
commands each UPS uses.)

I also couldn't get the Shutdown Client to work with the server
running on an NT box, even though no errors were displayed.

I've already modified the installation script to detect FreeBSD and
DTRT for the most part, and if I ever get this to work under
emulation, I think I'll make a port out of it (ala the StarOffice and
WP ports), and possibly even submit the installation script patches to
TrippLite, while at the same time pushing them for a native FreeBSD
version. :-)

-- Chris Dillon - cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us - cdillon@inter-linc.net
   FreeBSD: The fastest and most stable server OS on the planet.
   For Intel x86 and Alpha architectures (SPARC under development).
   ( http://www.freebsd.org )

   "One should admire Windows users.  It takes a great deal of
    courage to trust Windows with your data."