Date:      Tue, 23 Jan 2001 16:25:08 -0500
From:      John <papalia@udel.edu>
To:        "Josh Paetzel" <jpaetzel@hutchtel.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Install hangs on older system

> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'm attempting to install 4.2-Release on an 'older' packard bell
> > system.  I've read the archives and it seems that these systems are not
> > exactly favorites for working well, but still, I'd like to give it a shot
>:)
> >
> > The problem (occurred with both 4.1-Release and 4.2-Release ISO's that I
> > d/loaded):
> > Everything goes great, up until the file copies start occurring.  Every
> > time it gets to the same point - copying over boot/support.4th, and the
> > system hangs.  It seems odd though that not only does the system freeze
> > solid, but it also prevents me from using the keyboard shortcut to switch
> > ports on my KVM (keyboard input is completely locked out).
> >
> > The hardware:
> > Packard Bell Legend 130CD Supreme
> > CD Rom = NEC CDR-272 (4x)
> > Processor = P100
> > RAM = 72MB
> > Motherboard = Packard Bell Agoura/Wildcat (Intel chipset, built by PB)
> > Video = Built-in, Cirrus Logic Alpine GD5430 video chipset.
> >
> > Other:
> > Chipset PCI064B Super I/O controller
> > VL82C593 controller
> >
> > Any thoughts of what might be going wrong, and what might be a possible
> > solution?
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> > John
> >

>Try installing and having the verbose console up. Press Alt-F2 to get to it.
>Tell us what error messages it gives when it hangs.
>
>In general Packard Bells suffer from a couple of things.  One:  The 4x
>cdroms aren't always fully IDE compatible.  Two:  They oftentimes have buggy
>IDE controllers.  Three:  They are packard bells, and just suffer from all
>sorts of evil other stuff.

Actually, I had been watching the verbose console the entire time.  When
the install hangs, there is NO error message.  It just sits there. And sits
there. And sits there. (until I hit reset).

Interesting fact: just for fun, I tried installing off of a set of 2.2.6
CD's that I have.  The install went beautifully smoothly - no problems at
all.  Then, after reboot, I get the lovely message that boot.config and
boot.help both can't be found, thereby giving me a useless system.

I'm thinking about just trying to find another motherboard to stick in this
thing, but being strapped for cash right now, that might not happen.  Any
other thoughts or ideas?

Thanks,
John