Date:      Thu, 9 Oct 2003 10:34:55 -0700
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@xcllnt.net>
To:        "Adam C. Migus" <adam@migus.org>
Cc:        "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
Subject:   Re: sys/conf/DEFAULT[S]

On Thu, Oct 09, 2003 at 10:19:59AM -0400, Adam C. Migus wrote:

> > Also, it is more than a config issue.  There will need to be some
> > kernel source changes too.  About 1/4 of the pc98 ifdefs could go
> > away
> > if the MACHINE/MACHINE_ARCH split were done more correctly for i386.
> >

> If someone wants to step up and coordinate efforts with me on this?
> It sounds reasonable to address in parallel.  Is there anyone who'd
> volunteer to work with me on the non-config end or at least provide
> direction and expertise?  I don't mind being the coordinator so as
> to minimize the person(s) time in dealing with the issue.

I suggest you focus on the config(8) part first. Find out how best to
specify what to build given that (MACHINE_ARCH,MACHINE) doesn't quite
capture it. If it's backwards compatible then we don't actually have
to reorganize the source tree yet, which allows you to finish your
initial goal and also allows mips and powerpc to play with it a bit
before we commit to it by moving pc98 code around.

I can help out, but more on a theoretical front. You probably want
people like nyan@, jmallet@, benno@, grehan@ or imp@ to validate
concepts with reality or provide you with the input you need to
sketch the problem space.