Date:      Tue, 25 Jul 2000 10:32:20 -0500 (CDT)
From:      James Wyatt <jwyatt@rwsystems.net>
To:        Bart van Leeuwen <bart@ixori.demon.nl>
Cc:        Jean-Claude STAQUET <jcs@polyflow.be>, freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: allow access of root user

On Tue, 25 Jul 2000, Bart van Leeuwen wrote:
> Uhm, telnetting in as a user and suing to root has exactly the same
> danger, your password goes over the net in plaintext.

	[ Echo of original recommendation of using ssh ]

> To be honest, I never really saw the point of disallowing this except for
> the simple good habit of never using the root account at all, and only
> becomming superuser when you really really have to.
>
> Bart van Leeuwen
>  mailto:bart@ixori.demon.nl  -  http://www.ixori.demon.nl/

Check out programs such as linsniffer. It catches telnet/ftp/pop passwords
and does not catch 'su'-ing passwords. It only listens for known password
areas in TCP sessions to allow it to hide on infected hosts. A sniffer to
catch 'su' passwords is a *lot* harder to make and remain undetected.

Using 'su' for root logins allows you to immediately exclude a suddenly
untrusted (i.e. fired) user without changing your root password(s). Just
remove them from the wheel group...

Using 'su' and 'host.allow' in /etc/login.conf, you can allow root access
from different locations without adding them to root's login.conf entry.
This one is a bit contrived, but if anyone ever needed it, it's possible.

Of course, users of sudo don't have sniffing protections, but most will
forget their root password anyway. (I did. (^_^) More reason for ssh.

I prefer ssh, but some folks can't use it. If you have a terminal server
at your POP and dial-in because your INet port is down or attacked, then
telnet is the only game. Secure that with switch ports and anti-spoofing
filters.

Some folks don't want to (or can't) install ssh clients on the machines
they may have to connect from. Some don't know about cheap Windows
clients. Some don't mind using the broken Windows telnet client. - Jy@