Date:      Sun, 01 Mar 1998 17:26:07 -0800
From:      Studded <Studded@san.rr.com>
To:        gkshenaut@ucdavis.edu
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: calcru: negative time revisited

Greg Shenaut wrote:

> I get the infamous "calcru: negative time ..." message on all the
> machines I have installed fbsd 2.2.5 on so far, as I also did on
> several other versions.  Doing a little investigation, I found
> quite a few references on the mailing list archives, but never a
> complete explanation of how to get rid of the messages, or of why
> they should be so common.

	I can't help you with fixing the microtime code, but if it's any
consolation you've correctly identified the cause of the calcru problem.
I see this whenever the boot probe picks up an incorrect value for the
frequency of my cpu. I've been meaning to write about this, so if anyone
is actually interested in the problem, let me know. :)

	In the short term, you can fix your machines by commenting out the cpu
definitions you don't need and recompiling your kernels.

Good luck,

Doug

--
***         Chief Operations Officer, DALnet IRC network       ***
*** Proud operator, designer and maintainer of the world's largest