Date:      Thu, 24 Sep 2009 13:36:26 +0200
From:      =?utf-8?Q?Dag-Erling_Sm=C3=B8rgrav?= <des@des.no>
To:        grarpamp <grarpamp@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: regex lint

grarpamp <grarpamp@gmail.com> writes:
> The first one is fine, the second one complains.
> Aren't these both backed by the same regex lib?

No, grep(1) uses the GNU regex library, while find(1) uses the one from
libc (which, among other shortcomings, is not localized).

> I prefer the former as allowing empty subexpressions saves a ton of
> space on the command line by not requiring the enumeration of the
> expansion.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "enumeration of the
expansion"; /(foo|)/ is equivalent to /(foo)?/, which is exactly the
same length.

DES
--=20
Dag-Erling Sm=C3=B8rgrav - des@des.no