Date:      Wed, 27 May 1998 19:16:03 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Atipa <freebsd@atipa.com>
To:        angelos@dsl.cis.upenn.edu, jkh@time.cdrom.com
Cc:        Open Systems Networking <opsys@mail.webspan.net>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   FreeBSD Tunneling

[ ... w.r.t Photuris/IPsec/vpn ... ]

Angelos writes:
> I use it all the time, but then I'm one of the coders. Expect a
> FreeBSD port in the next few weeks (unfortunately available only to US
> citizens).

Well, I think those last bits to the FreeBSD code should be completed in
South Africa, and distributed from there :)

Jordan mentioned to me that Walnut Creek is in some sort of
crypto-law-exempt region or something, and FreeBSD can use full-strength
crypto. Jordan, care to explain? This would be a big loss to FreeBSD if
this technology goes non-exportable!

> >I also agree that the lack of documentation is a huge drawback. There is no
> >continuity between segments. :(

> Yes, but noone likes writing docs (never mind good ones) :-)

Well, if you help me figure it out, I'll write the docs. I'll wait for the
FreeBSD port (no OpenBSD machines in use now, and I like FreeBSD better!),
but I'd be happy to contribute.

> >What do you recommend for FreeBSD then? SKIP, ssh/ppp, ???
>
> Well, wait for the port. I don't like the SKIP design and philosophy
> (except for multicast communications), and I think ssh/ppp is a
> horrible hack.

Agreed on both accounts. Keep in touch w/ me if you want testers, etc.

Kevin