Date:      23 Aug 2000 22:37:55 -0300
From:      Jeronimo Pellegrini <pellegrini@mpcnet.com.br>
To:        Safir Secerovic <esafir@yahoo.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Multi OS installation

:: On Wed, 23 Aug 2000 16:57:24 -0700 (PDT), Safir Secerovic <esafir@yahoo.com> said:

Hello!

That's exactly what I'm doing! (Actually, I run FreeBSD 4.1 and Debian
woody)

I had Debian installed first, then just installed FreeBSD to a primary
partition, and set my boot manager to let me choose the OS.

You may want to check the Linux-and-FreeBSD howto (it's a mini-HOWTO)
in the Linux Documentation Project:

http://www.linuxdoc.org/

A few interesting tips:

- FreeBSD will not install in a logical partition.

- Decide which boot manager you'll use. I use the GNU Grub (which is
  great) -- so, after I had grub installed under Linux, I installed
  FreeBSD, and did *NOT* let it install its boot manager (you'll be
  asked this)... Then I jsut added, in my grub conf. file in Linux, an
  entry for FreeBSD.

- Both FreeBSD and Linux can see each other's filesystems, but:

  + FreeBSD cannot see inside a logical partition used by Linux;

  + You'll probably (someone correct me if I'm wrong!) have to
    recompile the kernels of both OSes to make them see each other's
    partitions;

  + If you can choose, put your BSD in a primary partition after any
    extended partitions, because Linux may get confused if you boot
    from a floppy with a kernel which doesn't support BSD partition
    labels and filesystems (this is only in the case that you decide
    to put partitions of both typoes in the same HD);

  + Be careful when mounting partitions like that in read/write
    mode... Make backups of important things!

I guess that's it...

Just install both systems in different partitions (perhaps different
disks). Keep track of which partition/kernel image you have to choose
for each OS, and then boot the box and change your boot manger's
settings.

If you install the grub, you'll find all these details in the info
files. As far as I know, both LILO and the FreeBSD boot manager
(forgot its name) can do this as well.

Hope this helps...
J.

--
Jeronimo Pellegrini
Institute of Computing - Unicamp - Brazil