Date:      Wed, 23 Oct 2002 07:30:55 -0500
From:      "Jack L. Stone" <jackstone@sage-one.net>
To:        "Roger 'Rocky' Vetterberg" <listsub@401.cx>, Steve Warwick <ukla@attbi.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Oops! rc.conf mistake

At 09:28 AM 10.23.2002 +0200, Roger 'Rocky' Vetterberg wrote:
>Steve Warwick wrote:
>> Hey all,
>>
>> I wonder if anyone can tell me how to get out of this stupid mistake.
>>
>> I edited rc.conf to add a virtual interface and left a quote off the end
>> (unterminated string) - now I cannot get past mounting root, so no editors.
>> And before you ask, no, I did not backup rc.conf... I told you it was
>> stupid.
>>
>> BTW: I noticed that ad0 is "limited to UDMA33" - I have UDMA133 motherboard
>> and drive so, I this really true?
>>

>> TIA,
>>
>> Steve
>>
>Since other have answered the rc.conf question, I give the "limited to
>UDMA33" a shot.
>Are you using a UDMA133 cable? I cant recall the UDMA133 specs, but I
>know UDMA66 and 100 use a different cable then UDMA33. UDMA133 might
>use the same cable as 66 and 100, but Im certain a 33 cable would
>force the drive to be UDMA33 only, even if both drive and controller
>is capable of UDMA133.
>It might also be a BIOS issue, check your settings.
>
>--

I have noticed that some CD-ROM drives will make the system think it is on
a non-compliant cable or UDMA33. For instance, this from dmesg on one
machine with an older CD_ROM drive.

"ata1-master: DMA limited to UDMA33, non-ATA66 compliant cable" If I change
to a newer CD player, it's okay.

Best regards,
Jack L. Stone,
Administrator